What is a miracle?
When we think of miracles, it’s typical to think of some of the really big miracles that we may have heard about in the Bible and other Sacred texts.
I have pondered this concept of miracles many times in my life.
And while I think we would all enjoy a really big, Earth shattering demonstration of the energy of miracles, the truth is that miracles are occurring all around us every day of our lives.
Why don’t we recognize these everyday miracles?
There are a myriad of reasons why…
Here are some that I can think of and I’m sure that you may come up with even more…
- We’re busy.
- We’re distracted.
- We take for granted the miracles that occur daily.
- Our definition of what a ‘miracle’ is doesn’t include the simplicity of every day miracles.
- We think miracles are reserved only for the ‘special’ people who God has chosen.
- We don’t think we deserve a miracle.
- We feel unworthy to receive a miracle so we deny that we have received miracles in our lives.
So lets have a look at some of the every day miracles that we often don’t recognize as a miracle.
- The birth of a baby.
- Someone passing you on the street who smiles at you, just when you need it the most, bringing a smile to your face, and making you feel better.
- Asking for something and having someone ‘randomly’ share information that leads you to the answer that you are looking for.
- Choosing to drive a different route to work and finding out later that had you gone the usual direction, you would have been caught in a huge traffic accident.
- Just ‘knowing’ the answers on an important test, that you hadn’t studied well enough for.
- Contacting a friend that you haven’t talked to in awhile and having them tell you they were thinking of you and you were the precise person that they most needed to talk to that day.
- Sharing an experience with someone and having them tell you that the information that you shared without being asked was the information that they had been looking for.
- Being invited to a talk by an internationally known speaker, not knowing what the topic of the talk was about, chatting casually to the friend who invited you, then sitting in the presentation and realizing you had been saying almost precisely what the speaker had to say on the ride to the talk. (this happened to me;-)
- Walking into a place of business that has long lines, feeling the boredom and frustration of the customers standing in line along with the clerks waiting on them, choosing to chat and tell jokes to those around you and observing customers and clerks alike beginning to smile, laugh and have a good time and the line moving much more quickly than anticipated.
And I’m sure when you stop to think about it, you can come up with many more situations and experiences that could be classified as miracles!
We tend to get into routines in our life. We tend to take things for granted.
What if each moment is a miracle?
What if we begin to set the intention to recognize the miracle in every moment of every day?
I propose that if we did we would never be bored, apathetic or depressed ever again.
I also suspect that we would be filled with gratitude, love and happiness as we began to notice how truly blessed we are each and every day.
And since like attracts like, also known as the Law of Attraction, life could become truly magical as each day is filled with more love and more happiness.
How much love are able to receive?
I would like to challenge you to set your intention to recognize the miracles that occur in your life and the lives of those around you every day.